At 10:57 AM -0700 6/28/01, R. Bhakti Klein wrote:
>my understanding is that a regular save just appends the changes to the
>end of the existing dir file, and save and compact look at the whole
>file, and gets rid of old stuff that's gone etc.

Save and Compact also does file reordering based on the layout of your
sprites in the Score and your castmember sequence in the cast libraries.
You can take advantage of this by manually using the Score as a psuedo file
layout tool.  (Search LINGO-L or DIRECT-L archives under "Schusslerization"
for details. [And no, *I* didn't name it this. <g>])

Note that you don't need to use Save and Compact before creating a
Shockwave movie since it will automatically optimize the .DCR for you
(although you can save a few bytes by using the Recompile All Scripts menu
command first.)

Also note that you can use the Update Movies command as sort of a batch
processing tool for creating  compacted movies and cast libraries.
--

...---===|  Terry R. Schussler  |===---...
...---===|  Chief Investigator  |===---...

on visitWebsite yourSelection
 coolSites = [ \
   #advancedSeminars : "http://www.macromediaSEMINARS.com/";, \
   #directorUniversity: "http://www.directorU.com";, \