Terry forgot to answer one question.
The 'place' that one gets this info from is the Director application.

Copy the Director application (the authoring executable).
Open the copy in ResEdit or Resourcerer and examine the BNDL resource, ID 128.

On Macs, every application that wants to inform the Finder about
'icons that they know about' will have this resource.  The CREATOR
code (in this case, MD03) is shown at the top of the window & the
supported filetypes (TYPE) are in a scrolling list.

hth

-Buzz