If you have a lot of data in your catalog, the Xtra you can use for
building and maintaining the database is V12 DBE:

http://www.macromedia.com/software/xtras/director/integration.html#v12

Otherwise, you can use all the usual Lingo devices: property lists, string
manipulation, etc., for storing and retrieving your data using external
casts. Also, search DOUG for the uses of the value() function at:

http://www.director-online.com/

Slava