>Never throw out the baby with the bath water. You only need to use macromix
>on machines that don't support direct sound, and it's certainly preferable
>to use direct sound if available.
>
>on startMovie
>   if the soundDeviceList.getPos("directSound") = 0 then
>     the soundDevice = "MacroMix"
>   end if
>end

If the sounddevicelist only contains Macromix, then there shouldn't
be any need to set it. Also, QT3Mix would be also preferable to
Macromix, so you can take care of all options by doing this:

on startmovie
    if the sounddevice <> "directsound" then set the sounddevice = "directsound"
    if the sounddevice <> "directsound" then set the sounddevice = "qt3mix"
end

The reason to test DirectSound before setting it is before it can
take a moment or two for it to switch, and if you are returning from
another movie, DirectSound is probably already set, so no need to
change it. If you're using Window NT, and so therefore don't have
DirectSound, QT3Mix will be used (if QuickTime 3 or later is
installed). If neither QuickTime or DirectSound is available, you'll
be left with Macromix. If you're on a Mac, the two lines will do
nothing, and you'll still have MacSoundManager.

Looking it over again, I can see that returning to the movie when in
Windows NT and QuickTime is installed might cause a small delay while
QT3Mix is re-selected, but that's a fairly unlikely combination these
days.