Rob (and anyone else interested),

I've run the benchmark numbers for my method -- I will try to put them in sensible
order tomorrow and post them here.
The method I described earlier averaged about 28 milliseconds to completion using the
following criteria:

300 sprites -- (note, it's 2.8 ms for all 300 sprites combined, not 2.8 * 300)
each sprite has 4 scripts attached, each script has one behavior
for each of the 300 sprites, one of the scripts has one handler that catches the call
the filter compares four strings, but the arguments are set so all will match and pass
through
in addition to the filtering criteria, two string arguments are passed in

However, after seeing the numbers, I refined my method substantially (I'll post the
revision tomorrow, too),
and go the time down to 10.7 milliseconds.

I think this is not too bad for a worst case scenario -- all 300 sprites catch the
call, all of them pass
the filter test.  But if your method can beat these numbers, I'll probably switch
over...