> I want to make my next director project a little more reuseable. i
was
> wondering if any one had any links to sites or ini file
> reading functions
> that could help with storing settings externally.  Do i need
> an xtra to read
> text/ini files of the same cd?  i'd prefer not to.

Hi Brendon,

Check out the vList Xtra from UpdateStage. As Mark pointed out, for
what you need, it is FREE!

The vList Xtra saves and retrieves Lingo lists and other data types in
binary format using either an external file or a cast member for
storage. Lists are a powerful and fast way to manage all kinds of
information in Director. Since lists can hold Director's rich media
and data types they are the natural solution for creating Director
databases, yet few developers use them this way. Why? Because saving
and retrieving lists at runtime using Director's built-in string() and
value() methods is slow and limited.

In demonstration mode most vList functions will cause a demonstration
dialog to display the first time they are used. A limited set of vList
commands are free to use and do not display a demonstration dialog.
The free commands allow you to save a list to a file and retrieve it
in authoring and from a projector but not in Shockwave. They are:

 new(xtra "vList",filename)
 write
 read

Price of basic version: $149.00
Price of full version: $299.00
Platforms: 32-bit Windows,Mac
Director versions supported: 6,7,8,8.5
Shockwave-safe, Shockwave auto-install
Author: Daniel Devolder

To read the full docs on line, download an evaluation version or
purchase the Xtra go here:

 http://www.updatestage.com/xtras/vlist.html

HTH,

Al Hospers