Thanks Marks for your explaination. I've gotten as far as the third from last
paragraph and everything is working well.  Although I was wondering, how would you go
about handling the scrolling of the hiliter sprite since one of the fields has over
one thousand lines?

Thanks again,
Gene

>>> "Mark R. Jonkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 07/19/01 04:26PM >>>
Hi Gene

What you are asking is entirely possible. Several ways to do it perhaps the
simplest is to use a field and a quickdraw shape member. My approach would
be to set the shape (which would be dark blue, in a sprite channel below
(lower in number) then the field sprite.

Set the field sprite to non wordwrap - extended lines would be cut off.

Create 2 behaviours and tell each behaviour via the gpdl or hardcoded what
the spriteNum is of the other sprite (for communication purposes).

Set the "hiliter" to the width of the field sprite and the height of the
lineHeight of the field sprite.

Assuming that you would either start it with hilite set to first line you
would position your hilite sprite to the exact same loc as the field members
loc.

You would set the forecolor of line(1) of field(somefield) to x
x being whatever white's index value is - to brain dead to remember ..
either 0 or 255

The field will need to be background transparent.

That sets your initial condition.

On mouseDown on the field, you look for the mouseLine, to a linePosToLocV to
gets its vertical drop from the top of the field, set the hilite sprite's
loc to the locH of the field and the locV of the field + the linePosToLocV,
set the mouseLine 's forecolor to white. And set the previous hilited line
to black if it wasn't sent over to the other side.

You will need to store the current hilited line (1 on initialization) into a
property variable.

Assuming you know the gray color that you will use (again index value),
whenever you select a line to move to the other side, you would set the
forecolor of that line to gray and on each mouseDown, you simply check the
forecolor of the mouseline and make sure it aint the gray color's index
value before you move the hiliter or set the property variable containing
the line number.

You might put an accessor mtethod into your field behaviour so that your
buttons can call  it and request the active line number and set the line to
gray etc...

That should you a rough idea as to how I would approach it..

Sincerely

Mark R. Jonkman