Hi John

Don't have the MIAW close itself, rather have it tell the stage to set
either a global or in D8+ a timeout object that can do the close at some
short distance in the future. You need to finish the tell command in its
entirety including the call back by the stage to the MIAW as it passes back
up the heirachy

ie.

on mouseDown
        -> tell the stage to forget MIAW
                -> THE STAGE -> forget the window
                        -> THE STAGE tells the MIAW okay I've executed your command ->
NO MIAW to
get callback -> fatal error

so in D7 or below you would do

tell the stage to mCloseSomeWindow, someWindowName

in the stageMovie
on mCloseSomeWindow someWindowName
        gCloseWindow = someWindowName
end mCloseSomeWindow

on exitFrame
        if gCloseWindow <> VOID then
                window( gCloseWindow ).forget()
                gCloseWindow = VOID
        end if
end exitFrame

where you would put the monitoring variable into every frame script where
the window in question would appear and then monitor it on exitFrame and
when it isn't void, close the window

Hope that helps

Sincerely
Mark R. Jonkman