Hi.  I assume you want to use ASP to query info from a database?
It seems to me that the only reason you would wantto use ASP is to
interface between Director and a database on an NT or win2000 server.

If that is your goal, you can do some great things with asp.
You can pass variables to an asp page using the lingo command
PostNetText, followed by the parameters you want to post.  It is
sent to the page as form variables.  You can then set the page
to write back the results in a list form that director can read.
I just finished a project that uses asp to simultaneously gather
info from an intranet with 27 different "voters", crunch the
numbers in an Access database, while a shockwave applet which is
being broadcast over a video network is constantly polling the
database by sending postnettext commands to an asp page, and
updating the vote results on a graph in real time over the video
network.  Here's some sample code cut and pasted from the project:

LINGO: to send parameters from the shockwave applet

if pdownloadContainer = "start" then

pdownloadContainer=getNetText("http://www.yoursite.com/yourpage.asp";)

      else
        if netDone(pdownloadContainer) then

          SessionID = netTextResult(pdownloadContainer)

          if netError(pdownloadContainer) <> "OK" then
            member("Question Text").text = "Trying again..."
            put "Session ID NetError = " & netError(pdownloadContainer)

pdownloadContainer=getNetText("http://www.yoursite.com/yourpage.asp";)
            put "resending"
          else
            --put "sessionID - OK"
            ppollingmode = "numparticipants"
            psessionID=nettextresult(pdownloadcontainer)
            pdownloadcontainer=""
            pnumparticipants=postnetText("http://www.yoursite.com/
                        yourpage2.asp",["sessionID":pSessionID])
-- NOTE THE USE OF PARAMETERS HERE
            member("Question Text").text = "...retrieving question text..."
          end if
        end if
      end if

ASP:
<%
dim DBLOCATION
DBLOCATION=Server.MapPath("..\data\yourdatabase.mdb")

        dim MYDB                'set as ADODB.Connection
        set MYDB = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
        myDB.connectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;"
                        & "Data Source=" & DBLOCATION
        myDB.open

        dim myQuery             ' as ADODB.Recordset
        dim myCMD                       ' as ADODB.Command

        set myCMD = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
        set myCMD.ActiveConnection = myDB
        myCMD.CommandText = "SELECT questionID,questiontext
                from questions WHERE sessionID = " & cInt(request.form("sessionID"))
' YOU MAY BE GETTING A RETURN OF 0 BECAUSE LINGO SENDS THE QUERY AS TEXT
(VARTYPE 8
IN VBSCRIPT) BUT YOUR DATABASE IS TRYING TO FIND AN INTEGER FOR A UNIQUE
RECORD
NUMBER.  USE CINT() IN VBSCRIPT AND VALUE() IN LINGO TO TRANSLATE.
        set myQuery = myCMD.Execute

        do while not myQuery.EOF
        response.write myQuery("questionID") & chr(13)
        response.write myQuery("questiontext") & chr(13)
        myQuery.movenext
        Loop

        myQuery.Close
        myDB.Close

        set myQuery = nothing
        set myDB = nothing
%>

This asp page will return a list of values separated by RETURN character.
Using text crunching lingo (look in the lingo dictionary in the director
help section under "text") you can chop this up and serve it up as
variables in whatever way you want.

Hope this isn't too long, but i thought the code makes it easier to
explain.  I will be away from my email (gasp) for 10 days starting Friday,
so if you need any more help email befoer then or after.

Best regards,
Andrew

Andrew Dempsey
Multimedia Developer and Consultant