<SNIP>
I'm not sure it will be possible to display your images at 256 colors with
out some degradation as they require a 256 color pallette and 8-bit images
created within the range of that pallette to interpret the color. if you
intend to display at 256 colors all of your images will need to be converted
to 8-bit and you will need to create or assign an appropriate pallette. even
so passing 8-bit images over each other will probably push some of colors
out of the range of your pallette (hence the awful colors). do you really
need to be able to display at 256 colors?
<SNIP>

Thanks Chad,

I wish I didn't even need to worry about displaying at 256 colors, it would make my
job a whole lot easier and I'd feel a lot better knowing my images are being displayed
accurately.  I'd like to think that most of the users using my training CD would be
displaying at least 16-bit color, but I've seen even at our location, a number of
programmers who are quite happy to keep their displays at 256.  I realize that I could
try to change the end users display settings, but I heard some horror stories that
make me very reluctant to try.  Does anyone know of any user statistics websites that
don't charge for information?  How common is 16 bit  or higher color settings?

Thanks again,
g fritzinger