This week's theme: newly coined words.

adultescent (uh-duhl-TES-uhnt) noun

   An adult whose activities and interests are typically associated with
   youth culture.

[Blend of adult and adolescent. The term was first noticed in 1996 in
a trade publication called Precision Marketing. Marketers love to come
up with new ways to slice their demographics. Another such term is tween:
http://wordsmith.org/words/tween.html ]

-Anu Garg (words at wordsmith.org)

  "In the stupidly named Failure to Launch (a box office joke waiting to
   happen, surely?), Matthew McConaughey plays a bachelor in his 30s who
   still lives at home -- an adultescent, if you will."
   So Many Choices, So Little Time; New Zealand Herald; Apr 10, 2006.

Sponsors' Messages:

Always find the right word with the Visual Thesaurus. Wordsmith readers
save 10%. Try it free! http://www.visualthesaurus.com/?ad=aw&code=m7r

Subscribe to http://delanceyplace.com -- a carefully selected non-fiction book
excerpt free to your email each day. It's the thinking person's daily quotation.

We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in
it -- and stop there -- lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot
stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again, and that is
well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one any more. -Mark Twain,
author and humorist (1835-1910)

Share the magic of words. Send a gift sub: http://wordsmith.org/awad/gift.html

Remove, change, or subscribe address: http://wordsmith.org/awad/subscriber.html

Pronunciation:
http://wordsmith.org/words/adultescent.wav
http://wordsmith.org/words/adultescent.ram

This message was sent to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".