So many mythological animals live on in literature, in our minds, and in
our imagination, that they would fill a virtual zoo.

Because these creatures are myths, they're not bound by biological rules.
Sometimes they're part human, part animal. They could have a human head
and an animal body, or vice versa.

These permutations and combinations of body parts make it look as though
the gods were playing a mix-n-match game of combining parts to make
composites. At times, one of these mythical animals had more than a single
head.

Enjoy looking at the menagerie this week and feel free to use their
attributes metaphorically in situations in your life.

chimera (ki-MEER-uh, ky-) noun

   1. A fanciful fabrication; illusion.

   2. An organism having genetically different tissues.

[After Chimera, a fire-breathing female monster in Greek mythology who had
a lion's head, a goat's body, and a serpent's tail. From Greek khimaira
(she-goat), ultimately from the Indo-European root ghei- (winter) that is
the ancestor of words such as chimera (literally a female animal that is one
winter, or one year old), hibernate, and the Himalayas, from Sanskrit him
(snow) + alaya (abode).]

Today's word in Visual Thesaurus: http://visualthesaurus.com/?w1=chimera

-Anu Garg (words at wordsmith.org)

  "The government subsidies [for bio-fuel] may quickly dry up once
   policymakers face up to the reality of their euphoric chimera,
   and food shortages threaten political stability and national security."
   Abdullah A. Dewan; Fuel Versus Food; The Daily Star (Dhaka, Bangladesh);
   Apr 24, 2008.

Sponsored by:

orijinz is a hit! "Great, great, GREAT word game!" "So much Fun" "infectious"
A great Mother's day gift! Only $14.95. http://entspire.com

Free! Extra issue of any of Champs-Elysees Audio Magazines in French, German,
Italian and Spanish. Subscribe at: http://web.champs-elysees.com/wsmith7

My poverty is not complete: it lacks me. -Antonio Porchia, writer
(1886-1968)

Discuss this week's words on our bulletin board: http://wordsmith.org/board
Remove, change address, gift subs: http://wordsmith.org/awad/subscriber.html

Pronunciation:
http://wordsmith.org/words/chimera.wav
http://wordsmith.org/words/chimera.ram

This message was sent to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".