On June 16, James Joyce aficionados the world over celebrate Bloomsday.
The day is named after advertising salesman Leopold Bloom, protagonist of
Joyce's novel Ulysses. The entirety of this book recounts an ordinary day,
June 16, 1904, as various characters go about their ways in Dublin, Ireland.
If that 700+ pages are too much, here's an illustrated and irreverent
summary of the book: http://home.bway.net/hunger/ulysses.html

To mark Bloomsday this week we'll examine five words borrowed from the
Irish language.

shebeen (shuh-BEEN) noun

   An unlicensed drinking establishment.

[From Irish sibin, diminutive of seibe (mug/mugful). The word
is popular in the south of Africa and in Scotland and Ireland.]

Today's word in Visual Thesaurus: http://visualthesaurus.com/?w1=shebeen

-Anu Garg (words at wordsmith.org)

  "The controversial drinking den has been raided four times since it
   opened two months ago. But shebeen operator Francis Kelly, 33, says
   it's a 'private club' for his pals -- and insists he doesn't sell
   any booze."
   Owen Conlon; Shebeen and Gone; The Sun (UK); May 9, 2008.

Sponsors' messages:

Transform your teaching career with a Master's from NCATE-accredited, The
University of Scranton. 100% online. 24/7 Access. http://UScranton.com/WS

Free weekly GRIMMLY REFLECTING: worldwide, Internet mirroring effect.
Join me? Subscribe: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have a great deal of company in my house; especially in the morning, when
nobody calls. -Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862)

Discuss this week's words on our bulletin board: http://wordsmith.org/board
Remove, change address, gift subs: http://wordsmith.org/awad/subscriber.html

Pronunciation:
http://wordsmith.org/words/shebeen.mp3

This message was sent to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".