This week's theme: Miscellaneous words

ecumenical (ek-yoo-MEN-i-kuhl, ee-kyoo-) adjective

   1. Having a mix of diverse elements.

   2. Universal; general.

   3. Pertaining to the whole Christian church; concerned with promoting unity
      among churches or religions.

[From Latin oecumenicus (general, universal), from Greek oikoumenikos, from
oikein (to inhabit), from oikos (house). Ultimately from the Indo-European
root weik- (clan) that is also the forebear of vicinity, village, villa, and
villain (originally, a villain was a farm servant, one who lived in a villa
or a country house).]

Today's word in Visual Thesaurus: http://visualthesaurus.com/?w1=ecumenical

-Anu Garg (words at wordsmith.org)

  "An ecumenical group of Cincinnati area leaders called for an end Wednesday
   to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict on the Gaza Strip."
   Rebecca Goodman; Area Groups Call For End to Gaza Conflict; Cincinnati
   Enquirer; Dec 31, 2008.

Sponsored by:

Drala Jong - World peace begins in the home. At Drala Jong we want to help
people relearn the Art of Living:
http://arobuddhism.org/drala-jong/drala-jong-appeal.html

Perfect your French, German, Italian or Spanish with Champs-Elysees audio
magazines, the final step to fluency! http://web.champs-elysees.com/wsmith7

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his
creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who
is but a reflection of human frailty. -Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel
laureate (1879-1955)

Looking for word/quotation archives: http://wordsmith.org/awad/archives.html