On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 07:39 +1100, Richard wrote:
> I'm not an economist, but it seems to me that the driverless car is a
> Detroit nightmare.
> Instead of parking the car when you don't want it (as we do now), you
> merely release it to transport someone else.
> If the duty cycle of the vehicle is increased, fewer vehicles are required.

Seems to me that such a system would move away from private ownership
and towards fleet ownership. That would mean either a demand for better
quality, longer-lived devices, fast repair cycles and a more generic set
of features, OR for easy-to-replace, generic vehicles, with a fleets
being an RAIV (you read it here first) - "Redundant Array of Inexpensive
Vehicles".

Either would be a mixed bag for manufacturers - on the one hand a more
reliable, less fickle market, willing to pay for real features and
perhaps to pay for reliability and long life; on the other hand less
ability to make money out of "styling". Although I can see styling
becoming a fleet matter, with fleets adopting distinctive looks or
feature sets as market differentiators.

Repair could be partly automated too - any car still able to move safely
could summon a replacement and take itself off to a repair station.
Coupled with fleet ownership rather than private ownership, we would
also see a huge change in the way repairs and maintenance are delivered.
Both would become an almost exclusively big-corporate domain, and
possibly even a manufacturer-bound domain, as it would be the best way
to ensure best re-use of still-functional components and effective
recycling of non-functional parts.

Similarly arguments would apply to refuelling and daily maintenance
(air, fluids, cleaning etc).

Individual owners typically buy cars able to handle the most taxing tax
rather than the most common task. They buy a massive vehicle because
once a year they go to visit Granny, 100kn away, in spite of the fact
that the car is used for 300 days of the year to transport one 30km
person to work and back on weekdays, and a few times on weekends to take
one or two kids 2km to sporting events or to go 1km shopping.

Fleet owners, on the other hand, would have a very strong vested
interest in buying just enough car to handle the requirements, so they'd
have thousands of small runabouts for the thousands of permanently
booked morning and afternoon commuters, and only a few larger vehicles
for the holiday bookings. The larger vehicles would take the family off
to Granny's with all their luggage, but would not be needed while there
- local runabout vehicles would take over.

With automatic vehicles, there would be less of a need to travel
together, too - kids old enough to do so could travel alone or with
siblings or friends (much as in civilised countries they can take the
train). Raises interesting questions of authority, actually - can a
parent booking a car for (say) a teenager going to a party demand that
the vehicle deliver the passenger only to a particular address,
effectively (if briefly) taking the teenager hostage? Is that a
legitimate extension of their parental authority? Or is it more like a
train voyage, where no-one would dream of considering the passengers
hostages, even though once the journey starts they have no control over
their destination.

I'm sure others can dream up more interesting situations...

What a fascinating set of consequences and questions automatic cars do
raise!

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (ka...@biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: B862 FB15 FE96 4961 BC62 1A40 6239 1208 9865 5F9A
Old fingerprint: AE1D 4868 6420 AD9A A698 5251 1699 7B78 4EEE 6017