Jim writes,

> This (U.S. court challenge) actually seems a little more hopeful than
> individual encryption actions (most people won't do this stuff) ...

Maybe. Although I respect this opinion, personal responsibility matters.

Indeed Jim, you and anyone can have state-of-the-art email privacy right
now, without doing anything radically difficult or special. If you use a
fairly modern browser and use Google Gmail with this browser. Your email
will be sent & received with forward private encryption from the browser.

If you send your email to another free Gmail account and they also use a
modern browser then ALL the email will be strongly encrypted ALL the way.

Microsoft Outlook will also implement a forward privacy, apparently soon.

It won't matter who or what listens unless they can break the encryption.

And right now breaking https takes time and processing grunt, and is very
unlikely for domestic and small/medium business communications. With your
normal virus checking and a deleted browser history for your win computer
anyway, this is about as good privacy as it currently gets. Doing such is
hardly onerous. But will certainly agree with the rest of your Link email.

> or a quaint demand that
> government surveillance just stop.  Surveillance will become increasingly
> easier, smarter and normal over time as we become surrounded by smarter
> interacting systems.  These systems have benefits but they are prone to
> misuse, on purpose or though zealous incompetence.  It seems much better
> me to develop that there are baseline rules of what is acceptable and
what
> is not - and back it up with some serious/extreme penalties for
> transgressions - rather than imagining that world should or could revert
> some mythological pre-Internet age of information naivety.
>
> I'm not sure about this but I also appear to have a different scale of
harm
> to most people of organisations that might be tracking me: I'd put the
NSA
> somewhere near the bottom.  Off the top of my head, something like:
> criminal organisations (clearly the worst), random shadowy uncontrolled
> companies, big name companies with a brand to support, the NSA (etc), the
> Australian government.  The NSA appear to have achieved about nothing
with
> their zillion dollar surveillance operation except pissing a lot of
people
> off and promoting privacy awareness.
>
> - Jim

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server