On 18/12/13 08:03, Dr Bob Jansen wrote:

> ... ING and Citibank have provided me with an RSA fob to
> verify who I am in certain transactions. ...

These fobs do provide a high level of security, if they have not been
compromised.

St George bank uses a lower cost approach, where their system sends a
code by SMS to the customer's phone, to verify the first high value
transfer to a new account. This has the added advantage that if the
customer did not initiate the transaction they would know something was
wring when they got an SMS from the bank.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/