On 19/01/2014 2:35 PM, step...@melbpc.org.au wrote:
> "Fridge Sends Spam Emails as Attack Hits Smart Gadgets"

Bugger the fridge sending out spam emails, I'm more concerned about
letting the world know when my house is unoccupied, when I have
visitors, what expensive (or otherwise) stuff I may have, where my car
is regularly or occasionally parked and other such information
potentially of interest to the bad guys.

It's little comfort that the police would be able to identify when
things were taken offline and hence the time of the burglary. And before
someone says that I could install video cameras, the privacy
implications of that are even worse.

IMHO, the problems these so called "solutions" create far outweigh any
potential benefits.

I remember years ago we had discussions on Link about SCADA systems
being connected to the Internet and the security implications. The
general opinion (if I remember correctly) was that SCADA systems should
be air-gapped. Techno-hubris wins again:

Hackers gain 'full control' of critical SCADA systems (In Australia)
Over 60,000 exposed control systems found online
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/369200,hackers-gain-full-control-of-critical-scada-systems.aspx

UK critical infrastructure at risk from SCADA security flaw
http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2323339/uk-critical-infrastructure-at-risk-from-scada-security-flaw

Is it likely that domestic systems will be better protected than those
of industry; systems designed and implemented by highly trained
engineers? Now there's a dangerous assumption. It's more liekly that
these systems have been implemented by project managers with no
knowledge of engineering systems.

To answer my own question: No they will not be protected any better,
when sold and implemented by the untrained and ignorant.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn