On 22 January 2014 19:41, <step...@melbpc.org.au> wrote:

> Jan writes,
>
> >> When a young Aussie *Attorney General* feels we need more public opinion
> >> for proper law making, and good governance, then by golly I guess we do!
> >
> > I think the medium varies.. However, if online is the choice, there
> > must be another element:  awareness of its existence. How does that
> > happen? .. How else do those in govt and public service who want to
> > involved the public get their attention? .. I think crossover media
> > connections are the key IF there's sites as the means for capturing
> > this interaction. People need to be invited to participate. Call me
> > cynical (because I am) that until there is a major disruption in the
> > type of politics in this country .. most people prefer to sit on the
> > sidelines hoping they'll implode.
>

> Agree completely, Jan. But, I would say, social media can galvanize any
> culture that's ignored, for example China and the Middle East. But what
> would it take for Aussie politicians to respond to we, the public, with
> democratic and effective use of social mediums? Any legislation that is
> widely discussed with the public, will be widely 'owned' by the public.

Air time doesn't necessarily mean something is usefully covered and decided
on.
Refugees are an issue (with secrecy currently making it worse) where
discussion gets railed into fear and badness.

If the government/opposition just needs the numbers it doesn't need
informed debate, just likes.
How do you make it interesting for them to commit to informed debate only
to have a public with diverse thoughts and no binary result.