At 11:31 AM 25/08/2014, Brendan wrote:

>I find the categorisation of Bitcoin as an asset a little odd.
>Barter systems typically rely on things of inherent use value. I'd
>be intrigued to know where they locate it - ie a number -  for tax purposes.

The strange thing about this is saying it attracts GST. I guess if
they classify it as 'barter', which is subject to but seldom to my
knowledge is enforced, the ATO can justify it. But if it's a pseudo
currency, we'd be paying GST on bank transactions, heaven forbid.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jw...@janwhitaker.com
Twitter: <https://twitter.com/JL_Whitaker>JL_Whitaker
Blog: www.janwhitaker.com

<https://www.amazon.com/author/jlwhitaker>JL Whitaker
"On A Life's Edge" -
US Amazon print and digital http://viewBook.at/OALEdge
Apple iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/on-a-lifes-edge/id893736824?mt=11

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how
do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer