Neil writes,

> Do we pass through space or does space pass through us?

Fascinating question Neil. If we are indeed a hologram, then space is passing
through us, one might think. I wonder if we are projections from an event
horizon? Anyway, you might like these ideas from a couple more recent papers ..

The Reality of Quantum Weirdness

IN Akira Kurosawa’s film Rashomon, a samurai has been murdered, but it’s not
clear why or by whom.

Various characters tell their versions, but the accounts contradict one
another: Which story is true?

The film makes one consider a deeper question: Is there a true story, or is
belief in one reality an illusion?

This very question, in scientific focus, has long been the subject of debate in
quantum physics.

Is there a fixed reality, apart from our various observations of it? Or is
reality a kaleidoscope of infinite possibilities?

This month, a paper in the journal Nature Physics presents
experimental research that supports the latter scenario — that there is a
 “Rashomon effect” not just in our descriptions of nature, but in nature
 itself.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1412.6213

Over the past hundred years, numerous experiments on elementary
particles have upended the classical paradigm of a causal, deterministic
 universe.

Consider, for example, the so-called double-slit experiment. We shoot
 elementary particles — say, electrons — at a screen that can register
their impact. But in front of the screen, we place a partial
obstruction: a wall with two thin parallel vertical slits. We look at
the patterns of electrons on the screen. What do we see?

If electrons are like little pellets (classical physics), then each
of them would go through one slit or the other, and we would see a
pattern of two distinct stripes of light on the screen, one stripe
behind each slit.

But in fact we observe an interference pattern, as if two waves are colliding,
creating ripples.

Astonishingly, this happens even if we shoot the electrons one by
one, so each electron acts like a wave interfering with itself, as if it
 is simultaneously passing through both slits at once.

So an electron is a wave, not a particle? Not so fast. For if we
place devices at the slits that “tag” the electrons according to which
slit they go through, there is no interference pattern.

Instead, we see two stripes on the screen, as if the electrons,
suddenly aware of being observed, decide to act like little pellets.

To test their commitment to being particles, we can tag them as they
pass through the slits — but then, erase the tags before they hit the
screen. Then, the electrons go back to their wavelike behavior, and the
interference pattern miraculously reappears.

There is no end to the practical jokes we can pull on the poor
electron! But, like a well-trained actor, it plays the role it’s been
called to perform. It’s like it decides to prove the famous Bishop
Berkeley maxim “to be is to be perceived.”

Is nature really this weird? Or, is this apparent weirdness just a reflection
of our imperfect knowledge of nature?

The answer depends on how you interpret the equations of quantum
mechanics, the mathematical theory that has been developed to describe
the interactions of elementary particles. The success of this theory is
unparalleled: Its "spooky" predictions have been observed and verified
with stunning precision.

It has also brought remarkable technological advances. It's a powerful tool.
But is it also a picture of reality?

Does the wave function directly correspond to an objective,
observer-independent physical reality, or does it simply represent an
observer’s partial knowledge of it?

If the wave function is merely knowledge-based, then you can explain
odd quantum phenomena by saying that things appear to us this way only
because our knowledge of reality is insufficient.

But the new paper in Nature Physics gives strong indications that this is not
the case.

If there is a reality at all, the paper demonstrates, then the wave function is
in fact reality-based.

What this research implies is that there is one true story, but it has many
truths, seemingly in contradiction, just like in Rashomon and in the Vedas: “As
is the atom, so is the
universe; as is the human mind, so is the cosmic
mind."

However, in addition to this, very recent additional scientific news brings us
a theoretical reason for quantum behaviour.

This new theory is quite easy to understand.

Basically, these Aussie scientists theorize that there are many universes, and
the electron as one particle is in our universe, while the electron as a wave
is in closely adjoining universes.

For years a major question has been whether a single photon is a particle or a
wave. As we know, they act like both.

So now, well respected researchers propose that we live in one
universe, within a multiverse, so that a single quantum particle is here, and
its waves are within other universes.

Quote: "In a newly published study, physicists propose that parallel
universes exist and that they interact and influence one another with
subtle forces. Griffith University academics are challenging the foundations of
quantum science with a radical new theory based on the existence of, and
interactions between, parallel universes.

A paper published in the prestigious journal Physical Review X,
(see below) Professor Howard Wiseman and Dr Michael Hall from
Griffith’s Center for Quantum Dynamics, proposes that parallel universes really
exist, and that they
interact. Nearby worlds
influence one another by a very subtle force of repulsion.

They show that such an interaction could explain everything that is bizarre
about quantum mechanics.

Quantum theory is needed to explain how the universe works at the microscopic
scale, and is believed to apply to all matter.
But quantum theory is difficult to fathom, and exhibits
weird phenomena. As the eminent theoretical physicist Richard Feynman once
noted: “I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum
mechanics.”

However, the “Many-Interacting Worlds” approach developed at Griffith
University provides a new and daring perspective on this baffling
field.

Professor Wiseman and his colleagues propose that:

* The universe we experience is just one of a gigantic number of
worlds. Some are almost  identical to ours while most are very
different;

* All of these worlds are equally real, exist continuously through time, and
possess precisely defined properties;

* All quantum phenomena arise from a universal force of repulsion
between ‘nearby’ (i.e. similar) worlds which tends to make them more and more
dissimilar.

Original Research Publication: Michael J.W. Hall, et al., “Quantum
Phenomena Modeled by Interactions between Many Classical Worlds,” Phys.
Rev. X 4, 041013, 23 October 2014; http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevX.4.041013

Cheers,
Stephen