On Mon, 2015-09-07 at 12:39 +1000, David Lochrin wrote:
> The Good Weekend section of Saturday's SMH included an article on
> Electromagnetic Hyper Sensitivity

There is either scientific evidence supporting the existence of EHS, or
there is scientific evidence debunking it, or there is no scientific
evidence either way. Anecdotal evidence may be useful for suggesting
that study is needed, but it is of itself not scientific evidence.

You felt light-headed - there are many possible causes of
light-headedness, and even allowing that it happened only when you used
the phone, allowing that this was not coincidence, and allowing that it
happened every time you used the phone etc etc, there are dozens of
factors apart from EMR that may be causes or contributing causes. This
is not intended to discount your experience - just to say that there is
science and there is non-science, and unless you do a proper study,
preferably of people who do not know they are being studied, it really
doesn't count.

> apparently the earpiece cable picks up radiation which the earpiece
> directs into the skull

What radiation does it pick up? And does it "apparently" do so, or does
it actually do so? Has anyone set up the required experiment to find
out? If so, great - we have real data. BTW science already has huge
amounts of detailed scientific information on how radiation of all sorts
is propagated through human heads; it's used all the time in various
kinds of medical scans.

> any biological effects of EM radiation might find a very unsympathetic
> business audience.

If there is evidence for the effect, then there is a problem that needs
to be fixed and they can get stuffed if they don't like it. Cf the
effects of smoking. If, on the other hand, there is no evidence or there
is evidence against the idea, then their lack of sympathy is not
unwarranted - cf the hatchet job being done on wind farms.

> Some years ago I remember speaking to an Epidemiologist who has been
> mentioned here before.  He had done a desk-study of the suburbs around
> the Gore Hill TV antennas and found a two-fold (from memory) increase
> in childhood leukemia, even though location could only be identified
> by postcode which is a very coarse measure.  These results were widely
> reported, but it is my understanding that phase-two of the study was
> cancelled.

Such studies are useful first steps; to see if a proper study might be
warranted. But before putting the blame for such things on the antennas,
it would be necessary to extend the study to other similar suburbs, and
to eliminate other possible causes. Correlation is not causation - if it
were, nylon stockings would be banned as a leading cause of lung cancer
in women.

It is possible that the EMR coming from mobile phones (and portables and
all sorts of other things) does cause some people discomfort, and does
cause various kinds of symptoms in some people. That's because there are
billions of people, and pretty much anything is possible. But, given the
massively widespread use of mobile telephony, it seems likely to me that
such people are very rare. It seems likely that mobile phone EMR does
not affect the overwhelmingly vast majority of mobile phone users, or
that if it does the effects are very subtle or very long-term. Exactly
the sorts of effects that can only be found through painstaking
scientific research.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (ka...@biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4
Old fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882