On 2/02/2016 11:45 AM, David Lochrin wrote:
> So I wonder whether the Bowral telephone exchange would have any part to play
> after
> full cutover? I believe there are only 120-150 points of interconnect (POIs)
> in the
> whole network, the great majority in Telstra exchanges, and the Campbelltown
> POI
> services a wide area besides the Southern Highlands - see
> http://www.mynbn.info/csa/CSA200000010151

After the full cutover, Bowral exchange is likely to have no further function,
and
presumably could be sold off. Full cutover though will be many years away, when
even
the special services (ISDN, DDS, traffic-light-service-whatever-that-is, etc)
that are
preserved from the initial consumer-level migration have been replaced and
moved on to
a different network.

> Presumably call handling & routing will be done at the POI with the remaining
> path
> to a subscriber just a matter of packet-switching data for a node. Does
> anyone have
> any understanding of this level of current NBN architecture?

No - call routing and handling will be done by the ISP's softswitch, likely to
be
located in the nearest capital city - I doubt there will be any voice-handling
infrastructure in a node or POI, just effectively an Ethernet tunnel between NTU
analog port and softswitch through the backhaul-POI-NNI-CVC-AVC-NTU chain.

Paul.