On 6/03/2016 10:33 AM, Andy Farkas wrote:
> On 06/03/2016 08:51, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>> On 06/03/16 01:22, Andy Farkas wrote:
>>>
>>> That was then. Now we're talking about how malcs destroyed the
>>> previous NBNv1 plan. Back then, an NTU was supplied, for free, in
>>> to the premises. You connected your computer straight into it. No
>>> modem required.
>>
>> Not really - that gives you exactly one computer connection. You had to
>> supply your
>> own router (or accept your reseller's bundle) if you wanted more than one
>> computer,
>> WiFi, a firewall etc.
>
> Are you trying to deliberately miss the point, especially since
> you cut out all the context? FTTP provides a ready to go service
> that does not need a modem.
>
> Technically, you can plug in 4 ethernet connections into the NTU.
> (and also two phones)

Unfortunately no. The 4 ports are not bridged - only one port is active, for
each
Internet service. The NTD does not do any firewalling, no NAT, no DHCP, none of
the
functions that a home router might perform. A PC plugged directly into the NTD
ethernet will get the one-and-only public IP address assigned by the ISP, and be
completely wide open to all public traffic and attack packets. I've seen
estimates
that such a PC if not specially hardened might last up to 10 minutes before
being hacked.
No other device could be connected to the Internet.

The four ethernet ports on the NTD are to support having multiple services from
multiple service providers simultaneously. For example, Internet from an ISP on
one
port, television using the NBN multicast platform on a second port, and
possibly a
corporate closed private network on a third port. Each needs to be enabled by
NBNCo,
and a service provider, separately, and they don't share traffic, routing,
bridging,
or anything.

You still need a separate home router/gateway, with an Ethernet WAN port, to
connect
to the Ethernet port on the NTD  for any form of home network.