On 3/9/16, David Boxall <lin...@boxall.name> wrote:
> <http://blog.jxeeno.com/unlicensed-nbn-fixed-wireless-towers-since-july/>
>> Assignments at almost a thousand fixed wireless s
ites have disappeared
>> after 2.3 GHz licence renewal in July last year.

Maybe they planned to move those sites to the 3.5 Ghz band?
http://www.zdnet.com/article/nbn-co-tests-3-5ghz-lte/

Another case of "the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is
doing" in government? surely some mistake...

Now seriously, the above ZDNet article brings me some questions:
1. They deploy 50 Mbps (apparently no more than that) over fixed
wireless. How much does that service cost? does it include usage
quotas? Is it symmetric?
2. What about latency on that 2.3Ghz fixed-wireless kit vs, say,
latency introduced by WiFi? (I remember reading Ubiquity worked hard
to reduce latency on its most expensive hardware so it was reduced
from 200-250ms to a mere 15-25ms, more in line with what one would
expect from ethernet).
3. It is clear to me that for the equipment manufacturers it's easy to
switch freq bands and just use the same LTE technology on different
bands (say 2.3Ghz vs 3.5) only having to adapt the antennas. So why
can't I buy such LTE equipment for my own point-to-point ethernet
bridge link?
4. How close is the NBN Co with the hardware manufacturers supplying
the solution? are there more than one supplier? or is this 3.5Ghz LTE
a one-hardware provider monopoly?
5. Why doesnt ZDNet ask the above quiestions? don't answer... :p

FC