On 03/10/2016 10:59 AM, David Boxall wrote:
I'm beginning to feel really, really old. ;)

<http://www.everythinggeraldton.com.au/geraldton-news/2016/3/7/these-graphs-explains-why-your-internet-gets-so-frickin-slow-every-afternoon>

It's no secret that TV viewership in Australia has been tumbling
for some time now (...). In fact, around half of all free-to-air TV
watchers are now over 50. In the coveted 25-34 demographic, a
whopping 20.7% watch NO FREE TO AIR TV.

We have not owned a television for 15 years. We went without for a while from
95 (by choice) but then someone donated us a TV because they couldn't bear the
thought of us missing out. (lack of something to watch them on did not stop
relatives buying us DVDs as presents though...)

I would have liked to keep my children on a low entertainment diet, but now we
have something far worse than free to air - the internet. Where content is not
curated, and any attempt to manage their viewing (apart from trust) is either
hideously time consuming, laughably restrictive (white listing) and/or plain
ineffective (Hola anyone? - third parties leeching off the hola free vpn one of
my children set up seems to be the reason our data was always blowing out) or
some combination of the above. Aside: I think politicians vastly underestimate
the administrative load that the internet causes parents.

Otherwise innocuous content (eg minecraft walkthroughs) are peppered with
inappropriate language and, at times, concepts. Any attempt to simply turn it
off is met with wails about how they need it for school (don't get me started)
or that their games won't work or how they need to download 30GB for the latest
game patch (Star Citizen).