Jim Birch wrote:
When an online mapping service cannot locate a precise address, it defaults
to the central point in the general area. The central point of the United
States is the Taylor farm near Wichita, Kansas. Every fleeing debtor in
America is robotically assumed to be in Joyce Taylor’s front yard. “There
are now over 600 million IP addresses associated with that default
coordinate”. “That poor woman has been harassed for years”

http://fusion.net/story/287592/internet-mapping-glitch-kansas-farm/

Haven't the designers of the database heard about NULL? Even a geo-coord of
(0.000, 0.000) would be more useful than the Taylor farm.

And don't internet users realise that the geo-location information obtained from
IP addresses is sketchy, at best?

I look up my current dynamic IP from time to time for a laugh. My home computer
has been "spotted" in Winnipeg, Vancouver, Chilliwack, Edmonton, Jasper, etc.
You get the picture. Seems most lusers don't. Not even police and FBI.

Whomever maintains the geo-location information for their IP assignments don't
seem to keep their data up to date. Not by a long shot.

cheers
rickw