[Last August in CLSR, I examined market failure in the security of desktop /
laptop / handheld devices:  http://www.rogerclarke.com/EC/SSACS.html:
>Security isn't easier for small organisations and consumers because the
>drivers for individual responsibility are too weak to overcome the
>impediments, and this problem is matched by market failure, and compounded by
>regulatory failure.

[In the article below, Schneier points out that the situation is even worse in
the case of eObjects / IoT devices.  It's unusual to see an American calling
for government action;  but that's what's necessary.  As is often the case, the
most critical jurisdiction for action to be taken is the US, although Europe
also has some importance.

[Parliaments are so dysfunctional that it's very difficult to get action
through those channels.  But the Australian Privacy Commissioner has been urged
for years (at least by me, but I expect by some other people and organisations)
to use his powers to force baseline security on organisations in relation to
personal data.  His refusal to do so is a blatant example of regulatory
failure.]

Security Economics of the Internet of Things
Bruce Schneier
Cryptogram
https://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram/archives/2016/1015.html#1

What was new about the Krebs [DDoS] attack was both the massive scale and the
particular devices the attackers recruited. Instead of using traditional
computers for their botnet, they used CCTV cameras, digital video recorders,
home routers, and other embedded computers attached to the Internet as part of
the Internet of Things.

Much has been written about how the IoT is wildly insecure. In fact, the
software used to attack Krebs was simple and amateurish. What this attack
demonstrates is that the economics of the IoT mean that it will remain insecure
unless government steps in to fix the problem. This is a market failure that
can't get fixed on its own.
... most of these devices don't have any way to be patched. Even though the
source code to the botnet that attacked Krebs has been made public, we can't
update the affected devices.
The market can't fix this because neither the buyer nor the seller cares. Think
of all the CCTV cameras and DVRs used in the attack against Brian Krebs. The
owners of those devices don't care. Their devices were cheap to buy, they still
work, and they don't even know Brian. The sellers of those devices don't care:
they're now selling newer and better models, and the original buyers only cared
about price and features. There is no market solution because the insecurity is
what economists call an externality: it's an effect of the purchasing decision
that affects other people. Think of it kind of like invisible pollution.

What this all means is that the IoT will remain insecure unless government
steps in and fixes the problem. When we have market failures, government is the
only solution. The government could impose security regulations on IoT
manufacturers, forcing them to make their devices secure even though their
customers don't care. They could impose liabilities on manufacturers, allowing
people like Brian Krebs to sue them. Any of these would raise the cost of
insecurity and give companies incentives to spend money making their devices
secure.

Tel: +61 2 6288 6916                        http://about.me/roger.clarke
mailto:roger.cla...@xamax.com.au                http://www.xamax.com.au/

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.