On 18/07/2018 3:01 PM, Dr Bob Jansen (in Korea) wrote:
Why not use a chip inside our Medicare card? We need it for treatment anyway so why not have a system wherein the treating clinician uploads their notes or discharge summary into that chip. Then security is dependent on physical access with presumably some sort of PIN/Biometric. Chip can be scrambled so unreadable without correct code. Then the patient is completely in charge. If they want the treatment recorded they have to present the card else it will not be recorded. A true patient medical record, My Medical Record!

I was involved in a project to do just that (maybe a different card, but a swipe or a chip) in Southeast Health back in the 90s I think, or early 2000s. It might have worked. That was at the time of the coordinated care movement across hospital, GP, allied health etc. in a local region, which is where most people get their medical treatment. At least you had to be present when the information was accessed, which would be an improvement over this shimozzle.

Jan

--
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jw...@janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how do you
fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer