On Wednesday, 22 May 2019 08:38:09 AEST Tom Worthington wrote:

> Auto-pilots have proven very effective in aircraft. These reduce the workload
> on the pilot, and also make for a smoother trip. I expect it will be the case
> for cars as well.

That's true.  But in normal flight the time & space envelope in which an
autopilot operates is relatively much larger than that of a vehicle on a busy
road.  I'd imagine that even an automatic-landing system has much less scope
for sudden and unpredictable collision events.  It might be an interesting
exercise in control-systems theory.

But I suppose this discussion has just about run its course!

Cheers,
David L.