David,

Private companies do hold a lot of private data in the course of providing public services.

All public transport travel data is in private hands of Opal operators and passengers are also being encouraged to use their credit cards.

Our roads are being built by private companies with no oversight by the government.

Our Public Transport itself not just the ticketing is run by private companies (Trams and increasingly Buses)

This is the landscape we have to negotiate.

Marghanita