On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 06:41:28PM +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-05-15 at 15:55 +1000, Kate Lance wrote:
> > They're nice charts but I was startled at the bottom one - 'Autocrats
> > aren’t necessarily better at dealing with coronavirus.' Whoever said
> > they were!
>
> I think it's a fair statement to make, because I can imagine many
> people might think that autocratic governments ARE better at it. At
> least if you assume the autocrats have their populations' best
> interests at heart (big assumption). They aren't delayed by any need to
> convince opposition parties, pass laws or cajole people, they can just
> lock doors, block roads and generally Get Things Done. On the other
> hand, they are no faster on the uptake than anyone else, and no more
> intelligent or sensible. And most non-autocratic governments have laws
> on the books that let them Get Things Done when they really need to.

Given that autocrats by definition are anti-democratic, it would be odd for
anyone to think they'd ever have their populations' best interests at heart.
But I guess there are people who'll believe anything, eg Trump cultists.

> > This statement is also bizarre, and perhaps reflects the blame-China
> > propaganda now circulating: 'The autocratic nature of the Chinese
> > Government meant measures to detect a pandemic weren’t effective and
> > the virus was allowed to spread initially.'
>
> A Government that pretends there is no problem is not helping, and
> there seems to be a bit of evidence that they did pretend.

What evidence would that be?

China informed the world (clue: WORLD Health Organisation) it had a potential
problem on 31 December. At that stage they had only 27 cases of 'unknown viral
pneumonia', no one had yet died, and it was the middle of the usually-lethal
flu season. But due to SARS experience the Chinese recognised there could be a
problem and told the world. The world yawned.

How did they 'pretend'? Forget the vague insinuations - proof?

Timeline as of 21 January:
https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200121-sitrep-1-2019-ncov.pdf

> And did things like abuse and sideline people who tried to sound the alarm.
> Maybe that is what the authors of that article are referring to.
> On the other hand, the supposedly democratic government of the USA did
> exactly the same thing.
>
> I find it hard to believe in those charts that the Chinese numbers have
> flattened out so perfectly.

Perhaps when you're trying to count cases in a quarter of the world's
population it's not easy, especially if there are only a few cases and
resources are stretched. But why assume it's a matter of deception?

Not like the US, for instance, where states (eg Florida) are being told openly
not to release their deaths statistics in case it hurts Trump's re-election.

Regards, Kate