Hi Carol,

> That was it! I am compiling outside the normal build process.  __KERNEL__,
> __SMP__, and __MODULE__ are defined in my source, so my compile statement
> looks like:  gcc -Wall -I/usr/include -O2 -c tstioctl.c
>
> Are there other parameters that I should be including?

Well, I think it should be MODULE, not __MODULE__, and __SMP__ should no
longer be needed on 2.4 (but it can't harm).  Apart from this it looks
OK to me (I don't have the kernel source here to make sure).

If you want to be on the safe side, just start a normal kernel compile
and look at the compiler command lines that make generates for the other
module files (they are printed to stdout by make), and simply use the
same options ...

Bye,
Ulrich

--