I've still always had excellent luck with the following:

cp -avx / /new

This will copy (a)rchive, (v)erbose, (x) one filesystem from / to /new.

Preserves all permissions, symlinks, etc, and much easier than a tarball.

Verbose being of course optional.

Just my $0.02 on it.

-m

--
Michael Kershaw
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Don't worry, I'm sure they'll listen to Reason." -- Fisheye, Snowcrash