Hi Phil,

Oh, they wanted to kill it alright!  The fact that they have been unable to
is a testament to it's customer loyalty and the fact that it is such a
robust and dependable system.

It's ironic that IBM's latest innovation (i.e. Linux/390) and potentially
it's most important factor in new hardware sales depends entirely upon the
"ugly step-sister" to help Linux/390 achieve it's full potential.

Remember VIF (Virtual Image Facility)?  This was basically just VM with some
Linux installation and management aids - but IBM couldn't go back to their
customers whom they had convinced to get off of VM and tell them that they
now needed VM to properly implement Linux/390 - so VIF was born (no, no -
it's not VM - trust me, ignore those HCP.... messages!).  :)

I worked as a consultant to a division of IBM for about 7 years (most of the
1990's).  During this time there was a published mandate that ALL IBM
business processes (including the ones which I authored and was supporting,
on VM of course) were to be migrated off of VM to Lotus Notes.  Any business
process that would not or could not migrate off of VM to Lotus Notes would
be retired.  A LOT of great internal business processes were "retired"
resulting in a huge loss of functionality and productivity.  The number of
installed VM images within IBM (supporting their world-wide business) was
cut from dozens/hundreds to just a dozen or less (I'm not there anymore, but
I think there are just a few VM systems remaining).  Fortunately, the
business processes which I authored are still "alive and well and living on
VM" - and hopefully they'll stay there.

Anyhow, that's just my $.02.  I'm glad to know that VM is still alive and
well, and that the folks who maintain and enhance it are still doing an
outstanding job!

Michael Coffin, VM Systems Programmer
Internal Revenue Service - Room 6030
1111 Constitution Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C.  20224

Voice: (202) 927-4188   FAX:  (202) 622-6726