"Rob van der Heij" wrote:
> > Hmm.  You need to spend a few minutes learning some basic vi commands.
> > Creating .conf files with echo is certainly feasible, but not very
> > desirable!
>
> Tee hee... when you're trying to load the qeth that is probably because
> you don't have a network connection, and cannot use vi even if you knew
> how to use it.

The ed command still has its value, after all those years...

Note that knowing your basic ed commands is still of considerable
value with present-day vi.

BTW, the commands as shown in John's message would have
resulted in a file /etc/chandev.conf with a single line
containing the text "qeth0,0xee00,0xee01,0xee02".
Given the amount of trouble he did with four echo commands
in sequence, I suspect he intended the result to be different.
(Hint: try swapping the ">>" and ">" occurrances)

--
     Willem Konynenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas