Dennis G. Wicks wrote:

> Greetings;                    (Posted to VMESA-L and LINUX-390)
>
> Please tell me if my recollections are correct:
>
> We are running a 9672-X37. We can install IFL engines
> on this machine, install z/VM 4.2.0, LPAR the system with
> the IFL engines in one LPAR and the 390 engines in the other,
> z/VM running in both LPARS. Then we could run both 390 and linux
> guests in one LPAR and just linux guests in the other.

Correct.  As you realise, you can't define an LPAR with both 390 engines and
IFLs.

> Now for a couple of questions.
>
> AFAIR LPARing a system has a couple of disadvantages.
> Could someone refersh my menory and tell me what they are?

Don't know the full details, but it has to do with the overhead imposed by
another level of scheduling/despatching in the PR/SM code.  Someone with
better knowledge on this please chip in!

> And finally, for today anyway, is there a facility for communicating
> between LPARs similar to VCTCAs between guests?

Unfortunately, not on the 9672.  Hipersockets on the 2064 would allow you to
do this, since a Hipersocket device can extend across LPARs.  On your 9672
you would have to define a real CTC channel pair and do real IO between your
LPARs.  This is not a bad thing, just not as tidy as Hiprsockets.

Cheers,
Vic Cross