> > On desktop systems, depmod gets run every time one boots.
>
> Why? Is that 'desktop' as opposed to 'server' or as in 'Intel' ?

Looking for a differentiating term. Should have stuck with IA32;-)

It's true of RHL's product for IA32. I don't know whether it applies to
other platforms or distributions.

> Would it not be sufficient to do this when you install modules?
> It is in 'make modules_install'  I think, and probably rpm packages
> that install kernel modules will know to do it?

Needs a change (I think) when you change modules.conf - I have seen
some of the modutils programs complain. It doesn't take long, and it
does clear up potential problems for those who've installed Brand-X
modules such as IBM's OCO drivers.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my
disposition.