MKISOFS(8)                                             MKISOFS(8)

NAME
       mkisofs  -  create an hybrid ISO9660/JOLIET/HFS filesystem
       with optional Rock Ridge attributes.

the point is not to _create_ a isofs rather to copy a already existing
one, on the cd, to a filesystem file. so a raw datadump, dd, is
sufficient.

KISS - keep it small, keep it simple

bax
PS: i know this seems to be an philosophical question, but mind the gap:
use simple tools for simple  tasks - you ain't gone need it.