>The standard distribution has a few checks in console
>initialisation, which appear a bit superflous to me, and
>in fact prevent one from being able to specify conmode=
>on non vm or p390 type machines.  Removing those checks
>will allow one to specify conmode=3270 and condev=1234
>as the kernel commandline such that it can use 3270 device
>1234 as its primary console on regular machines.

The first two checks in conmode_setup are fine. The P/390 does not
have a hardware console and there aren't any real 3215 devices on
machines that are supported by linux, only emulated devices under
VM or on a P/390. The third test is something different though.
You could use a 3270 device as your primary console but the test
prevents it. I will change that and the two sprintf statements
in the devfs setup as well. But I won't change the first two tests.

blue skies,
   Martin

Linux/390 Design & Development, IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Schönaicherstr. 220, D-71032 Böblingen, Telefon: 49 - (0)7031 - 16-2247
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]