I did get lot more information on this from Sleepycat support team:

The problem is that Berkeley DB does not include assembly
language mutexes for the s390 architecture, and Linux POSIX
1003.1 pthread mutexes aren't sufficient for DB as they do
not support locking between processes, only between threads
in a single process.

If you're building a server application, that is, you don't care
about locking between multiple processes, then future releases
of Berkeley DB will allow you to use the --enable-posixmutexes
option during your DB configuration to force enabling of the
pthread mutex support.

> Can you guide me here, if I need locking between multiple processes,
> how can I go about achieving that?

You would need to write some form of mutual exclusion that works
for this architecture, likely using s/390 assembler.  Of course,
the Linux port to the s/390 already contains the mutexes, so you
could probably find that code and modify it to work inside of the
Berkeley DB library.

> I am also trying to get some suggestions from a Linux/390 mailing list.
> Can I quote your response there, Please?

Sure, feel free.  Various groups keep threatening to make Linux
pthreads mutexes work between processes, but it hasn't happened
yet.

> Does windows or solaris support synchronization between processes?

Yes, both Windows and Solaris support synchronization between
processes.

So my final question is there any known open source project to get locking
between processes, achieved ?

Thanks,

Samy Rengasamy.