>Everything seems fine until it gets to mounting the root file system (the
>parmfile has root=/dev/ram0 in it).  At that point I get the
>EXT2-fs: Magic mismatch, very weird !
>error.

How big is the compressed initrd ? If you put a lot in it you
may have exceeded the default size of the ramdisk (depends on the
kernel you use).
We had to use a ramdisk_size=10240 for RedHat once you add the IBM
OCO modules for different kernels. Failure to do so resulted in a
lot of weird errors.

The other thing that fooled me frequently was that I forgot to
sync before I did the IPL from another userid with a R/O link to
that disk. But I guess that does not apply to your IPL from RDR.