From:   David Boyes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Thursday, April 18, 2002 10:11 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: Backup possibilities under the 2.2.x kernal

> Hey Gang.  I was wondering what exactly one can do in a native LPAR
> installation of Linux, using the 2.2x kernal (I've not gotten the 2.4
> distribution) from SuSE to backup their system.

With 2.2 native, you have limited options. You can attach a tape drive
to the LPAR and use dump manually, or you can use Amanda, which is on
your SuSE CDs.  Amanda is by far the more attractive of the two options,
and it supports connnecting over the network to another system and
dumping to a remote tape drive. You can also use Tivoli Storage Manager
if you have it, but the L/390 client seems rather unreliable at the
previous release level -- I haven't tried the most current one yet, as
they don't seem too interested in most of the 390 versions of TSM at the
moment, and it's not cheap. CA has a product as well, but it's not cheap
either.

> I understand that the 2.4 kernal allows/can allow the s/390
> side of the
> coin to backup the Linux volumes natively? Is that the best
> way to go? (The
> 2.4 kernal/distribution)

This is in general a good idea but it still allows only full-volume or
full-partition dumps, which are great for DR, but not so hot for A.
Underpaid Admin who has a bunch of J. Random Lusers who deleted one file
and want it back day before yesterday. You can do the same options as
above for file-level backups. Amanda is probably the best bet here as
well, along with using DFDSS to do full volume dumps periodically with
the Linux system down for consistency sake.

-- db