> Hi Dave,
>
> Guess I better just give in and try the same route.  Problem for our
> environment is that, in order to install Linux, I had to apply several
> microcode
> upgrades to our P390, including a new tape driver.  But the tape driver
> won't
> support our cartridge drive it isn't an IBM piece of equipment!  It
appears
> that
> to install from tape will require applying the last microcode fix,
> installing a
> new tape driver, modifying the config.sys and a couple of other files,
> creating
> the install tape, installing, then backing it all out again.  Oh well,
> that's what
> we get paid the big bucks for, right? ;-)
>
> Thanks for your response as well.
>
> Happy Trails,
> Jill

Folks with P/390 (or R/390) can IPL the CD-roms directly. P/390 has
support for OMA/2 (optical media attach/2) which consists of an *.TDF file
which describes the tape datasets (and tape marks/labels etc.) - device
driver is AWSOMA, appears to S/390 as a 3420 or 3480 tape.

Here's an example *.TDF file from my R/390 (note the Windoze style
backslashes).

/home/dougie/R390 >cat 390lnx.tdf
@TDF
\R390\tapes\image_tape.bin UNDEFINED RECSIZE 1024
\R390\tapes\linux.prm      TEXT
\R390\tapes\initrd_bin.gz  UNDEFINED RECSIZE 1024
TM
EOT

Hopefully, most distros include *.TDF somewhere in their directory
structure. (SuSE 7.0 has /suse/image/awsoma*.tdf on CD-1)

Regards, Dougie Lawson

--
ITS Technical Support
SupportLine for IMS, DB2 & Linux