I agree with Jay's analysis/description, but ...

Rich asked:
> Pardon my ignorance in this matter, but what's the point?  We already have
> great group here and I would personally prefer a single point of
discussion.
> Do newsgroups work any way like mailing lists such that messages are mass
> emailed to members?

And Jay replied:
> No. Newsgroups are pull media, to use a neologism, rather than push media:
> you read the articles you're interested in, instead of having all fo them
> sent to you and ignoring those you don't want to read.

> I think they're better for high-activity groups than email,   ...

The problem is that they turn us all into spam fodder.
Sad what happens to good tools in the hands of unethical people,
but such is the state of NetNews.

If anyone has any doubts about how bad the spam problem has become,
I would forward examples to them,  but would probably get fired
for doing so,  given the content.

PLEASE DO NOT PEER THE MAILING LIST WITH A NEWSGROUP.