> I have to find some answers to these questions for our security
> plan (why is that part always harder than the install).  This is
> for SuSE 2.4.7 kernel.
>

> 1. How can I enforce a password to contain at least 1
>    numeric, 1 alpha, and 1 special character?

I suspect you will need to change passwd (unix passwords) or smbpasswd
(passwords for Windows users) or provide a wrapper and hide those programs.

> 2. How can I lockout a userid after 3 bad attempts at
>    password

pass.

It's an invitation to a DoS attack tough.

> 3. How can I set a login to timeout if a valid userid/pwd
>    is not entered within 2 minutes?

Isn't one minute good enough?

The standard login has one minute; ssh (I think) has its own limit which may be
different, but it does time out.

I have to say one minute can be a pain. I've had problems when the system was
thrashing (on Linux AND OS/2) and I could not login within the minute so as to
be able to investigate.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
        be right!