From: Rob van der Heij [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2002 12:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: no lcs moudle found with REDHAT 7.2

At 18:48 03-05-02, Miller, Ila wrote:

>What kind of information is Red Hat expecting at the Please enter any
>parameters you need to pass to the channel device layer?  Do I need to deal
>with these OCO modules if I install Red Hat linux in an S/390 LPAR?  I was
>hoping this would be an easy do.

Yes, you especially need the OCO module in LPAR. When you're on VM you
can have the VM TCP/IP stack do the 'hard work' and talk IUCV or CTC
to it, but on LPAR you have to do what your hardware does.

IBM did release the source code for the LCS driver, and RedHat put that
in the Rawhide of the 64 bit distribution, but at that time not yet in
the 31 bit (and you can hardly blame them for giving priority to the
paying customers when we can try the stuff out for free).

It is fairly easy to merge the OCO modules into the RedHat supplied
initrd following the instructions on DeveloperWorks. Do remember to
put a ramdisk_size=10240 or so in your parmfile.

Rob