Todd,

Yes!  Running Linux for S/390 on Hercules is a great introduction -- in
fact, the only introduction (at this present time) to Linux on zSeries
(that's the 64-bit kind) if you don't have a real zSeries machine.  It is
still a little different to running on real hardware, but IMHO something is
better than nothing, and Linux doesn't care about the difference.

I just downloaded the Debian pre-installed image that Matt Zimmerman
created, and it's going great.  Subscribe to the Hercules-390 list and check
the archives for Linux stuff (there are a couple of messages about Matt's
Debian image, too, including where to get it).  As far as the commercial
distros go, SuSE was the first to hit the ground running (so to speak), so
they have a lot of momentum -- and a very good distribution, of course!

Be aware that there was a bug in the Linux DASD driver for 2.4 kernels,
which affects Hercules.  A patch is available, but it is not widely
available in the commercial distros yet.  Matt's Debian image has the patch
applied.

Cheers,
Vic Cross

--
Vic Cross  MACS  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Networking, Linux, on zSeries and S/390