SuSE SLES7 came with a highly modified version of mingetty that wouldn't accept the
patch as it was.  (It looks like someone added several features without changing the
version number.)

I've refitted the changes and created a new patch that seems to work properly with the
version of mingetty shipped with that version.  If anyone is interested, I can either
send it privately or post
on the list.

You have to install the Source RPM for sysvinit, and then apply the patch to the
mingetty-0.9.4b directory.

It's 222 lines, not terribly long.