Peter,

yes there is. I use a product called Webmin (checkout
http://www.webmin.com/).

This will give you web access to your linux system. Even though there is
the capability to telnet/SSH to login it is not necessary as there is a
command shell interface where you can execute commands, however you will
need to logon to Webmin itself. You can define users to webmin without a
corresponding user account on Linux itself. You can define the webmin users
with as much or as little access to webmin's capabilities as you want. This
is a web based system management tool - there are others around but I use
this one. It is very easy to install and only requires PERL.

It comes in tar files or RPM files. I had trouble last time installing
through RPM so I gave up and downloaded the tar files but there is a new
version at the moment and perhaps that will work fine.

fiat lex, fiat justitia, fiat lux, fiat Linux!

Regards, Craig

+61-2-9354-7283 tel +61-2-9354-7797 fax
Craig Vernon B.App.Sc. LL.B.
IBM Support Centre FB41
55 Coonara Ave
West Pennant Hills 2125
Sydney NSW Australia
Visit us at http://www.ibm.com/services/au/its

"You can not find a solution using the same thinking that created the
problem." - Albert Einstein

If received in error please delete and notify the sender immediately. No
other use permitted. Neither confidentiality, privilege nor copyright
waived.

                      Peter Rothman
                      <peter.rothman@wor        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      ldspan.com>               cc:
                      Sent by: Linux on         Subject:  Linux console
                      390 Port
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      ST.EDU>

                      25/05/2002 12:22
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Linux on 390 Port

Is there a way (maybe some kind of web access) to give someone access to
the linux console without telling them to logon to the userid running
Linux?

Peter.